Thursday, August 03, 2006

Reading

"Everybody falls, and we all land somewhere..." My new favorite first line from Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. I haven't felt compelled to read a serious book in quite a while. I do occasionally read a mystery or a sci fi work from the beginning all the way through to the end but, of late, it seems that I would rather be doing things other than reading. Books don't capture my attention the way they used to. Finding ones I want to read seems like work. At other times in my life I was always on the trail of a good book. I wonder what I'm on the trail of now...


But I did read this one and, like any well-written book, it has found it's way into my view of the world. Now when I see the sun setting hugh and orange I think about the images in Spin of the sun filling the sky, dangerously closer to us. When I drive through desolated areas of the City I speculate about what kind of a civilization would find ours worth going to some lengths to preserve. I also think about the optimism of the story. Its too smart to probably ever have wide appeal but it is richly complex and absorbing.

No comments: