Thursday, October 12, 2006

Butternut Squash Apple Cider Soup from the Culinary Institue of America

This is the best soup I've ever had! Its enough to feed a whole restaurant. Soon I will experiment with reducing the recipe to serve only 6 or 8. I'll probably simplify it also. I don't see myself peeling squash when I can buy lovely frozen squash...

Ingredients:
Butternut Squash 9lbs
Onions 1 lb
Carrots 1 lb
Water to cover by 4 inches
Honey 1/2 cup
Ground Cinnamon 1/2 cup
Whole Butter 3 lbs
Salt to taste

Garnishes

Small diced butternut squash, cooked 2 cups
Pumpkin oil as needed (I have no idea what this is)
Reduced apple cider glaze as needed in a squirt bottle
Toasted pumpkin seeds 1 cup

Directions:
Peel and slice the squash. Reserve. Sweat the onions in a small amount of vegetable oil. Add the squash, carrots and water. Simmer until tender.

Puree in a blender until completely smooth. Add the honey and spices. Mix in the butter. Season with the salt.

Prepare garnishes.

Number Of Servings: many, many

No comments: