Friday, March 02, 2007

The Quilt Fest of New Jersey 2007

Spent the day at the quilt show. I didn't buy any fabric. I've been out of my sewing room so long I feel like I need to get reacquainted with what I have but I took lots of pictures! The quilts were beautiful of course and I came home with my head spinning with ideas as usual. I did buy some thread.


This particular quilt was wonderful. I came back to it many times. It is a round robin. A group of eight cut up the Renoir painting The Boating Party into eight pieces and worked on their portions individually, not seeing each other's work until all the parts were completed and assembled sort of.


One of the neat things about it is that the pieces aren't joined together but are little mini quilts, finished all the way around that just hang next to each other like a puzzle. The results are really spectacular. Everyone's technique and materials were different. Some used cottons some "fashion fabrics," satins and beads. There was traditional applique and free motion quilting and embroidery. All the interpretations were consistently "realistic." It did receive a ribbon.



No comments: