Saturday, September 08, 2007

Pennsylvania Quilt Extravaganza 2007 is Here


Ok, here we go! It was a great show. Maybe part of the reason the show moved to the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg was so that it could grow bigger? I don't know, but it was too big this year for me to get through in one day. The drive is longer but I must go! First my images of the prize winners.

This was a huge quilt with an irregular shape. Though I have no hard and fast evidence for it I believe that non-square/rectangular shaped quilts are becoming more and more popular. I haven't seen many irregular shapes win prizes.

The quilt combines painted folk images and paper pieced blocks. There are, as the artist points out in her statement, lions quilted in the upper corners. There are also african fabrics, or prints combined to evoke natively produced african prints. The use of ethnic prints, especially ones other than Japanese, is another trend I see more and more of and I do love it. I have quite a collection and these great examples provide ideas.

No comments: