Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Weekend in the Sewing Studio

I was entirely on my own this weekend. I could have gone to a class - but I didn't. I had great Joann coupons but they went unused. On Saturday my first stop out of bed was my sewing machine and I turned it on before I had my tea.
I worked on a plaid daisy quilt that has a vaguely green theme so far. I started it last week as this Fall's Library Quilters quilt. It has been on my list of things I want to make for a long time so it is good to start it. It is a Ruth McDowell flower pattern. I saw an example made with chickens around the daisys as a border but I'm just not a chicken kind of girl. I'm thinking bees or butterflys -- maybe both and a
bee hive or two? I've been wanting to do something with bees since they started disappearing. I don't know that this will completely satisfy me but it is a possibility.
IMG_0301v2
Several weeks ago I spotted silk chiffon on sale for cheap on Fourth Street. I didn't buy it the day I saw it and it has haunted me since so last week I took an afternoon and bought some in every color! My idea is to make needle felted scarves. Roving looks so cool and organic felted into sheer silk and I have never tried it. I am fairly pleased with the (as yet not completely finished) results.
IMG_0292
IMG_0274v2
I also finished the white linen drapes for the bed room. Not as exciting but they SO needed to be finished.
IMG_0309
IMG_0315
Interspersed with this flurry of creative activity I spent a bit of time cleaning up the space (mostly putting new fabric away) and musing over ways to use some of the large prints I've accumulated in the past year or so.
IMG_0308
I am particularly in love with the beautiful collaged-looking prints of Jason Yenter. I can't seem to get enough of them! He creates a new line and I need to have it -- but what to do with it? The prints are either large or intricate or both and after I get them home I am overcome with an attack of the "can't-use-its." The manufacturer (Free Spirit) always has suggested quiting patterns on their web site but the designs tend to be some variation on traditional quilting patterns. I do love and will piece traditional patterns but these prints seems to call for something different so I have been on a mission to find or make a new approach for these and other large prints.
IMG_0317v2

No comments: