Sunday, October 10, 2010

Getting to 49

Applique finished on blocks
 I worked on my Moon and Stars quilt on Friday and and  Saturday morning. It was one of my many stalled projects.
Cutting away the background block fabric.  It makes the design lay flatter and look "inlaid" into the block.

I had 38 blocks made and a vision for an appliqued border. I want to put the blocks together so I can start playing with the border design and the plan is to actually use the quilt on the bed.  It has to cover a queen-sized mattress so it will take 49 blocks to make a generous enough quilt, with the borders, to look nice.  After counting and recounting I think I got to 49...or 48.....?  Well, when I put all of the rows together I'll find out.
Have I made 49?
After I put several rows put together (yay!) early Saturday afternoon I wanted to have some time to go out and enjoy the day.  Philly has ridiculously hot, humid summers and long miserable winters but October is what we get in return.  Temperatures around 70, intensely blue skies, fresh breezes and liquid gold sunlight pouring over the City.
October pumpkins and gourds on 9th Street
Everything glows in October and it is the perfect time to visit the Italian Market, or as folks are likely to say on my block "go down 9th Street.." I've been planning to get some Roma tomatoes to make sauce and this long weekend is the time to do it.  After a trip to DiBruno's I bought three pounds of tomatos and turned them into marinara by bedtime.

I've lived near the Italian Market since moving to Philly over 15 years ago.  Grocery stores are more convenient but 9th Street is an adventure.
The husksters, the awning, a momentary clear spot on the sidewalk.  The Market is timeless

No comments: