Monday, February 09, 2009

Library Quilters

The Library Quilters started meeting again in January. Before the holidays I had started a Ruth McDowell daisy-patterned quilt. It is on my lists of quilts I want to make and I started out, picked up speed and put together about half of the blocks I need -- and then I lost steam.
It is a paper-pieced project and paper piecing feels halting to me. I love the uniformity that it creates but I get bored with the "fiddly-ness" of it. I've been thinking about making templates and converting it to a classic piecing project and trying to chain sew it. I used to really dislike using templates but I seem to have found a new patience with the process.
This brings me to a struggle I have in general with making quilts. I know one of the reason I, and likely many people, find quilts so compelling is their sheer size. Bed-sized quilts are a great big canvas for color and design, but that much size in means a lot of piecing and a lot of time and I have a lot of quilts on that list.

No comments: