Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Why We Blog

Yesterday for the first time I hit the "Next Blog" link at the top of the page. It was really just an idle, random thing to do but what a ride. It is like having a remote and flipping through channel after channel of other people's lives. Pre-teen girls, boy art students in London, people on vacation in New Zealand, non-English speaking people who take lots of photos of themselves in very brief up-to-the-minute clothing and lots of new moms sharing baby pictures. Its a bit addictive.

It got me thinking about why people do this. The art student said posting makes him feel like he did things and I could sense a little flicker of truth in that. It does often times make my activities seem more significant. It also offers me an opportunity to lend significance to my activities. Hours and days and years rush by and I heed them not. But when I face the blank box under the title tag I look for meaning. That is not such a bad thing. There may be none but I know I'll never find it if I don't look.

And...I know I'm going to hit that link again.

No comments: