Thursday, March 05, 2009

Quilt Fest of New Jersey V


Today I drove to Somerset for the New Jersey Quilt Fest. The show itself is a bit smaller than the PA one but it comes at a good time - not that there is a bad time for a quilt show!

I thought the quilts were especially wonderful this year. This particular event doesn't seem to have funded prizes associated with it. The Mid-Atlantic winners from a few weeks ago were featured and there were several really interesting challenges. As usual I took lots of pictures. My goal was to focus on technique and ideas today but of course sheer beauty will always catch my eye!

I literally saw quilt from a distance, not quite on the other side of the Convention Center floor. The color is brilliant. It looks like hand-dyed fabric. It is machine quilted with orange thread, maybe variegated. The design is original, an intricate log cabin-type geometric. Combined with the twisting and ray-ed quilting, it's like an op art painting. The artist is Kay Preston.

No comments: