Sunday, September 16, 2018

Old South Philly VS New South Philly

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon in the neighborhood.  We took a walk down Passyunk Avenue.  My goal was a glass of bubble tea at Teas N’Me (honey jasmine with aloe and boba).  The neighborhood has changed quite a bit in the 23 years that I’ve lived here. I would have not been able to get a glass of boba tea, for example, when I first arrived.  

I likely would not have seen a sign for this march in South Philly 20 or even 10 years ago.


This very large store sign has been removed and the building it was on has been replaced by condos.  


The sign has been memorialized in an ironic way with this one.  



This photo, by the way, is from the Passyunk Post, whose tag line is "For the New South Philly."

This collage of trending symbols over a "No Parking" sign was fixed to a alley gate.  Trending symbols didn't used to make their way this far south.  


I'm not sure exactly where Isaiah Zagar comes down on the new vs old South Philly.  I think there is more of his work around and I just like to take pictures of it :-).


South Philly is still full of people who like to find ways to grow green things.  


No comments: