Sunday, June 21, 2009

Common Textiles

IMG_0639v2
I have many sets of old pillow cases. They are pretty but that is not the primary reason I have them. I bought most of them in the 80s at the Salvation Army, thrift stores, flea markets and garage sales. I could spot them in almost any setting and the amazing handmade detail would compel me to buy them every time.
IMG_0641v2
Although some of them are probably quite old I've use them all. I hardly ever make the bed without vintage pillowcases on it. They are all one hundred percent heavy cotton. Most of them are made from actual pillowcasing fabric, woven in a tube without a side seam. They have been washed over and over again so they feel velvety and I iron them (yes, I do) so that they are crisp AND velvety.
IMG_0637v3

I noticed the colors in the roses on this one this morning. I wonder if the fabric has faded from a more brilliant pink to the salmon or if she was thinking of a particular rose that she had seen and reproducing the shading on the petals with thread she chose to edge the applique with. The two-tones of pink seems to argue for deliberate shading.

1 comment:

laura west kong said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Those are great pillowcases, it's wonderful that you are enjoying them, rather than hiding them away.