Friday, June 12, 2009

New Jersey Quilt Convention 2009

My own projects are sitting alone. Work is as frenetic and stressful as I have ever experienced. The poor economy has meant budget insecurity but also the need to prove our value, seemingly in every direction at once. The result has been many extra hours on the job.

But today the weather was beautiful and it was time for a drive and a quilt break. I didn't get lost going or coming home, that's a first. When I got to the Expo Hall I had to hunt a bit for a parking spot and I was glad. I've thought about the impact the economy could be having on quilting, crafts and the arts. Today is the second day of the three day show and it looked well attended to me.

I did buy a few things but mostly I looked and I took pictures. Here are some favorites:

Sunflowers quilts always catch my eye and there seems to be endless techniques and design arrangements. This one won "Best Innovative Design." The artist is Raina Lynn-Knapp.
IMG_0572v2
The center looks to be woven strips of fabric. They are wonderful colors, so luminous that they look like they might be satin but I think they are cotton. I love the way she has chosen to weave the colors together. Wonderful shading results.
IMG_0569
I think some of the petals are hand-dyed velvet. Many are dimensional and stand away from the background.
IMG_0574v2
The petals, leaves and stalk are also a combination of raw-edged and satin stitched applique. Some of the pieces have such a sculptural quality they almost look as though they are wired, like french ribbon. I often have mixed feelings about dimensional applique, understanding the idea and the attempt but not so convinced by the final product. This is a case where the dimensionality really adds to the piece. The use of the texture and color direction in the fabric is also outstanding. I came back to it at least three diffrent times to admire.
IMG_0571

No comments: