My Quilt Show

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Quilts. Make your own badge here. None of these quilts are mine so far, but beautiful works of art I've photographed, mostly at quilt shows.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Favorite Quilts: At the Edge of Chaos

IMG_0172v2
I have some favorite quilts that I come back to for ideas, inspiration and sheer enjoyment over and over again. I really love this one. It is very busy with all things tea. How could I not love it? The artist is Norika Ikeda of Japan. I seem to have a weakness for Japanese-made quilts.

IMG_0175v2
The text includes the names of quilts (broken dishes, log cabin), correspondence, addresses and cancelled stamps. This detail shows the words and music to the Star Spangled Banner! I believe many of the cups and dishes here and all over the quilt are cut from printed fabric and appliqued
in layers. There are also tea-thing-shaped buttons scattered about. It is really a large scale, fabric collage. It approaches the edge of chaos but doesn't descend. I believe the theme holds it together.
IMG_0174
More details.
IMG_0173
The quilting is free-form and I believe done by machine. Here is some metallic quilting/embellishment.

No comments: