Friday, April 03, 2009

Quilters Heritage Celebration

Work, recently, has taken on a frenetic quality. Some days I have hardly been able to get from one meeting to the next on time. But today I drove out of the city and into Lancaster county for the Quilter's Heritage Celebration. There was an intense April downpour as I left. I believe I even saw a bolt of lightening or two, but the countryside is freshening up. There were trees in bloom, maybe cherries?

As the trip moved from the super highways around the King of Prussia Mall, to the older divided four lane turnpike-type roads to the two-lane version of Route 3o that cuts across Amish farms I thought less about work and more about nothing at all. I began to see buggies. One tied outside of a Stop and Shop, one clopping along, closed up against the mist. My horizon moved out to where the damp empty fields rolled gently up to meet the sky.

This show is not in a convention center but at a large hotel on a golf course. I always park a ways down the highway and tromp in across the rough lawn that borders the course. I picked my way through the highest ground I could find and arrived. By then space had fully cleared in my head for things other than work worries.
IMG_0941
I thought the show was a good one. Maybe not as large in terms of vendors as I have seen in the past but some great quilts. I saw this one near the end of the day and loved it.
IMG_0940v2
Titled El Dia de los Muertos - A Colorful Afterlife by Kelly Hogan is was part of a special exhibit called Living Colors from the Association of Pacific Northwest Quilters. It was absolutely encrusted with embellishments: crystals, cording, beads, rick rack, pearls. bits of jewelry and ribbon-covered rings. If you can think of a kind of trim it is on there! All of the quilts in the exhibit were 24 x 36. I liked nearly all of them. It is a great size for an art quilt.

No comments: